30.10.12

Every leaf of every tree...

When I was little I had this poem in a frame above my bed... It's come back to me recently as I have been absorbed in trees and leaves. Of course I don't believe in fairies anymore (!), but I do believe in the same sense of wonder and excitement when you look up into a canopy of lime green trembling leaves...


On Every leaf of Every Tree

The air around was trembling bright
and full of dancing specks of light
While butterflies were dancing too
Betwen the shining green and blue
I might not watch, I might not stay
I ran along the meadow way.

The straggling brambles caught my feet
The clover fieild was, oh! so sweet;
I heard a singing in the sky,
and busy things went buzzing by;
and how it came I cannot tell,
but all the hedges sang as well.

Along the clover field I ran
To where the little wood began,
and there I understood at last
Why I had come so far, so fast
On every leaf of every tree
A Fairy sat and smiled at me!

(from Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Poetry)


No comments:

Post a Comment