15.10.13

Long hot summer...

Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'.... Or Zebra Grass to you and me. I have some just outside my studio window. It caught my eye today because of its pink tinged flowers. Apparently they only turn pink if we have had a long hot summer...

It's been a very sunny day. But there's no doubt that autumn is here. It's an in between time. There's lots of reminders in the garden that summer is not long gone. It's a shame that we seem to rush through Autumn very speedily to get to Christmas... In past times we slowed up enough to appreciate harvest and to celebrate it.

'In the garden, Autumn is, indeed the crowning glory of the year, bringing us the fruition of months of care and toil...'

Today it's been easy to linger in the moment...despite being confronted with Christmas decorations at the shops! I'm going to try and stay in this lovely season for as long as its here.

'Everyone must take time to sit
And watch the leaves turn.'
Elizabeth Lawrence

 

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that, Jane.
    Reminds me of W H Davies' poem - Leisure!
    "...A poor life this if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare."

    ReplyDelete