21.11.13

Unravelling the Art Trail process

I am in the middle of a mammoth studio sort out and clean up. All in preparation for the North Bristol Arts Trail this weekend. It's been marked on the year planner (my security blanket) since this time last year, so there's no surprise that its upon me. And I've been working for it for the last two months.


And it has got me pondering... The process of getting ready for an exhibition in your own home is very different from preparing for a gallery led event. The most obvious difference being that its all down to you, the work, the space and the curation of the exhibition, and of course the manning of the event itself. You do it all, with the help of whoever you draw in to be involved.


I actually really enjoy the whole process, in particular the more reflective side of it all, considering the work, what I want to say or how I want I visitors to feel as they come into my home. It is a very vulnerable place to put yourself. But I think that's a good place. It encourages a quite brutal assessment of your work, what path you have been following and if there is any value to others in presenting them with your 'journey'...


And you have the opportunity to share with them the background to the work, the inspiration, what made you arrive at this point in time with this work on display. I hugely enjoy curating the space to reflect these things. It helps me unravel the days and weeks and months of work, distill ing the process down to a studio that's tidy for once and filled with current work, the important work, hung on the walls.


Mixed up in it all is the sometimes confusing question of whether or not visitors will want to pay for this expression of 'your' journey, does it ring true with them? Can they connect in any way with what you are making? And what value does it have to them? When a living needs to be made, it's not always a simple thing. In the end it's often advice from friends that helps to clarify this part of the job.


Coming at the end of the year, this weekend is a great way to process the last 12 months. What is the important work, how did I get here? What has poured inspiration in? What has sapped me of energy? What do I need to invest in next year? And over the next few days I need to listen to my visitors, hear them out and respect what they say, as they reflect back to me what they see and feel as they come right into my space!


What a very real privilege, one I don't take lightly.


I'll let you know how it all goes after the event! Here's a picture of my nearly ready studio...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment